Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meet the Class - Jessie


One of the unique attributes of the DeVos Sport Business Management Program is the network of students who make up our program. Our class will take every course together during our tenure here at UCF and we will work on countless group projects and collaborative efforts. As a result of our shared interests in the business of sport, a natural team camaraderie is formed. However, our team is composed of people from diverse backgrounds, experiences and ambitions. We offer profiles of class members to give you an idea as to the type of people who make up our program, individuals who collectively will be leaders in sport and society and will be teammates for life.

Name: Jessie Kalyn Gardner

Hometown: B-E-A-UTIFUL Sarasota, FL

Undergraduate School & Major: UCF, Interpersonal Communication

Past Sports Industry Experiences: Played soccer for UCF from 2004-2008 (don’t have much!)

Current G.A. or Sports Industry Related Internship/Job: GA for the Assistant Director for Student Services in Athletics

Reasons for Choosing the DeVos Program: Besides the fact that it was one of the top programs in the nation, I knew it was where God wanted me to be, especially after I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Lapchick, Dr. Sutton, and Dr. Harrison. The “3 Wise Men” as we like to call them, exemplify the core values of this program inside and out. I couldn’t have made a better choice!

Future Career Ambitions: I hope to be an event coordinator/manager for a sports team or organization. However, after working in my graduate assistantship in UCF Athletics, I could also see myself working in athletics at a Division I institution as the Life Skills Coordinator or as the Director of Student Services.

If you could play a round of golf with any three sports figures (dead or alive, on the field or off) whom would you choose and why?
Tiger Woods – might as well play with the best, even in light of all that has happened - I am sure we would have plenty of good conversation on the course.
Muhammad Ali – I have always been fascinated with his confidence and charisma, let alone his incredible ability to be the best in boxing
Tony Dungy – He is by far one of my greatest role models, for his coaching philosophy and integrity as a person, understanding that he has the power to influence everyone he comes in contact with.

No comments: