Monday, January 21, 2008

Sic 'Em, Bears!


Hi there! My name is Nathan Semones, and I'm a student in the DeVos Class of 2009. I'm from Dallas, TX, and I came all the way to Orlando just to be a part of this program - but I suppose I should back up a bit.

I've always been passionate about sports, but wasn't sure how to mix my talents with my passion. At first, I pursued a sports reporting career, which led me to complete my B.A. in Radio/TV/Film from Baylor University in 2006.

After several internships at the local ESPN Radio and ABC TV affiliates, I decided that I was on the wrong side of the coin. I wanted to impact sport, not describe it.

I landed internships at Madison Square Garden in NYC and Conference USA in Dallas, and soon began to understand how sports organizations function. I had no practical business experience, so I knew that if I was going to continue this route, there would be a missing piece to my skill set and my resume.

I discovered the DeVos Program at UCF, which allows candidates to pursue both an MBA and a Masters in Sport Business Management. This course setup would be the perfect blend of business background and sports focus to launch my career.

As we begin our second semester, the experience just keeps getting better. We're getting into the important issues of sport today, specifically in the areas of diversity and ethics. Our classroom diversity allows for a variety of insights, and the hot-button topics always lead to interesting discussion.

It's also great to see the Class of 2009 taking ownership of the program now that the Class of 2008 has moved on to internship and job opportunities. You'll hear more about both as the spring rolls on and stories roll in.

I'll be updating every week or so with updates. In the meantime, if you have any questions, about myself or the program, feel free to shoot me an email: n_semones@yahoo.com. Thanks for stopping by, and hopefully we'll see you back soon.

Best wishes,

Nathan

P.S. As of this date, the Baylor basketball teams are a combined 31-3 overall and 7-0 in the Big XII. A proud day to be an alum...

No comments: