Monday, March 21, 2011

Meet the Class - Kara

One of the unique attributes of the DeVos Sport Business Management Program is the network of students who make up our program. Our class will take every course together during our tenure here at UCF and we will work on countless group projects and collaborative efforts. As a result of our shared interests in the business of sport, a natural team camaraderie is formed. However, our team is composed of people from diverse backgrounds, experiences and ambitions. We offer profiles of class members to give you an idea as to the type of people who make up our program, individuals who collectively will be leaders in sport and society and will be teammates for life.

Name: Kara M. Adams

Hometown: San Leandro, CA /Ashburn, Va

Undergraduate School & Major: Howard University, Sport Management

Past Sports Industry Experiences:
*Intern-NASCAR Diversity Department
*Intern-NASCAR Kinetics
*Intern- Washington Wizards
*Student Worker-Howard University Athletics
*Intern-Progressive Sports and Entertainment Alliance

Current G.A. or Sports Industry Related Internship/Job:
*Hope For Stanley Alliance-G.A
*Will Call- Orlando Magic
*Intern- UCF Athletics (AD of External Operations)


Reasons for Choosing the DeVos Program:
I prefer to attend the DeVos program over others because of the experience I will gain outside the classroom in addition to the classroom knowledge I will be gaining. After doing my research I understand that I will be volunteering my efforts in many ways throughout the Orlando area. Upon my visit to the campus I loved the atmosphere of the location of the campus as well as the warmth I felt upon the arrival to the DeVos office.


Future Career Ambitions (1 to 2 sentences):
I would like to work at the collegiate level in athletics, eventually taking on the role of Senior Woman Administrator in addition to a position that will allow me to mentor and work with our student athletes.

If you could have any superpower what would you choose and why?
If I could have any superpower I would choose the power to make everyone kind hearted :). It’s almost as cliché as world peace but I think I put my own twist on it!!! I want everyone to be happy, giving, kind hearted and as loving as I believe I am. Kind hearts=beautiful/kind world!


If you had the opportunity to interview anyone dead or alive, who would you choose and what would you most want to know?
I would interview Harry Edwards. He is alive and a friend of Dr. Harrison’s so this may not be a far fetch idea! I would like to know how it feels to be a well known African American mentor to sports figures? How it feels to know you personally and single handedly affected one of the most talked about moments in sports (Tommy Smith and John Carlos-Olympics stance).



No comments: